Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Young And Free

When I was young, the very natural thing to do after school was to climb over the fence to my neighbour's home and play together. Because you know, we were too cool to use the gate.

I look back at the height of the fence now and wonder how we ever did it. I truly doubt I can repeat that performance now.

Fast forward 20 years, this is me and my childhood friend in Melbourne. She came for a fleeting visit and I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with her.


I will always remember those carefree days, where maths homework was a matter of 1 + 1 = 2. Or if they wanted to be really diabolical, 9 + 2 = 11.

Where even though I knew almost no Mandarin, and my childhood friends knew almost no English, we somehow managed to communicate anyway.

Where we would walk to the pasar malam every Wednesday and buy Ramly burgers, sausages, lime drinks and asam flavoured ice cream.

Where we would play hide and seek, video games and just have fun.

We're older and possibly wiser now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...