Thursday, March 11, 2010

No. 44 - Eat At 50 New Eateries (33/50)

We woke up bright and early on Saturday and headed off to Waiheke Island, where we decided to rent bicycles and cycle around the island.

Another first for me - the last time I was on a bicycle I was probably 10 years old. However, after a shaky start we were all good to go. Except... the island was mostly uphill when we cycled inland and after a while, we were so tired we decided to just push our bikes up the steep inclines. Much easier than riding.



Finally somehow managed to cycle to Cable Bay Vineyard - which had a spectacular view from the restaurant. Luck smiled on us again - I had made the mistake of assuming that Cable Bay was on the mainland and had booked lunch there for Sunday - only to discover it was right here on Waiheke Island!

Me: Is it possible to get a table for 4 today?
Waitress: I'm sorry, we're all booked out.
Me: Ohh...weelll... could you cancel our booking for tomorrow then? I made a huge mistake... I thought this vineyard was on the mainland! Was looking forward to eating here... and we just cycled up that hill..... *sob story continued*
Waitress: Let me see what I can do for you.

2 minutes later, we were seated at a table.



Food was amazing. One of the best meals I've ever had.

2 comments:

  1. Hello 'Dental Girl'
    Jeremy here from Cable Bay Vineyards.
    It's wonderful to hear that you had a great experience at our restaurant, and I'm pleased we were able to fit you in.

    Out of interest - is there something we need to do better so that people realise we are not in the city but are in-fact on Waiheke Island?

    We hope you return again some time.

    Kind Regards

    Jeremy
    Cable Bay Vineyards

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be perfectly honest, now that I look at the website and map, it is very clear Cable Bay is not on the mainland.

    Not very sure why I made that mistake. I'm sure your future clients will not be as careless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...