Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My Luck Filled Weekend Part 1

I went to Auckland last weekend.

If there was one word to describe my weekend - it would be... lucky.

To be perfectly fair, if we had more foresight and planning, perhaps we wouldn't need luck. But disorganized we were and thus luck was needed.

Firstly, we didn't decide where we were going to park our car when we went to Auckland. See, the thing is, we go down to Melbourne all the time. Thus everything should be straightforward enough - what's so complicated?

So when we approached the airport...

Housemate: So, where are we going to park the car?
Me: Uh... long term parking I guess? I know it's cheaper if we don't park in the airport but I don't think I can be bothered looking for the alternatives.
Housemate: Yea... so.. outdoor or indoor?
Me: Oh... outdoor will be fine... I mean, what's going to happen, right?

A hailstorm in Melbourne's going to happen, that's what!!!!

Very very happily and fortunately, it didn't hail where my car was. :D



Secondly, we didn't really decide if we were going to rent a car or just take public transport/taxi around Auckland. After much thought we decided that renting a car was probably going to be the best idea. Problem was, we arrived at Auckland at 1 a.m. on a Friday night. There weren't really many options.

Avis: We do have one car left. But it's small.
Us: Small's okay.
Avis: You need to be 25 to rent a car.
Me: Weelll.. I'm 25. (A mere 2-3 weeks after my 25th birthday)
Avis:Oh...another thing. This car has a manual transmission.
Me: ....I can drive manual.....I think...

So we got into the car and I gave myself a refresher course in manual driving in the car park. One may liken it to riding a bicycle - you never forget. Last time I drove a manual car would probably be at least 4-5 years ago.

Did I mention how many steep hills there were in Auckland City?!?!!

Anyway, was very proud of myself. So much so I'm putting this into my 101 list.

No. 80 - Drive in a foreign country.

2 comments:

  1. Our luck ran out when our flight was de-routed to sydney cos of a medical emergency on board. Ended up having to stay the night in a hotel and woke up all grumpy after only 2h sleep and no luggage (hence no clothes/toiletries, only to arrive the same time as Tony who left at 6AM this morning!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...