Thursday, January 28, 2010

Unwritten

My boss asked me what was I going to do with myself next year.

I said I have absolutely no idea.

It's not that I don't like my life here in Benalla. It is a nice town, the patients are nice, I make a good living, I have good housemates - but where does it all lead to? I feel like it's more a journey than an actual destination. Which means I should continue on my journey.

So many of my friends have found some direction or other. Some have chosen to specialize. Some have chosen to go abroad. Some have chosen to go home. Me - blank.

The truth is, I have never been ambitious. I have never really wanted to be particularly successful in life. Well, not entirely true. In a very distant past I had aspirations to become a dermatologist or something along those lines. But somehow along the way I decided surely there is more to life than aiming for another goal. I want to live now. I guess what I want more than anything is to be happy. And surely that is everybody's ultimate goal in life?

Every day I see elderly patients and hear their stories about their youth, their life - and how now they're at close to the end of it. It's a daily reminder that youth is fleeting and should be cherished and not only that - be made the most of.

So what am I going to do next year? As Natasha Bedingfield says - it's still unwritten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...