Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Day At Cacao

I love anything to do with baking that involves sugar. So much so my friend who is a pastry chef at Cacao in St Kilda invited me to spend half a day in the kitchen with him to have a look and see how a commercial kitchen runs and help make some things while I'm at it.

Unfortunately I didn't take many photos because I spent most of the time actually doing things as well as uh...sampling food. However, here are some of the things that I helped out with. Also did a little bit of danishes as well as quiches. Highly enjoyable.



My thoughts?

Well, I guess I have toyed with the idea of taking pastry a little more seriously than just baking 12 cupcakes in my little oven at home. But after this experience I have to say commercial pastry probably isn't really my cup of tea. It's all very well to have fun baking 12 cupcakes at home but when it comes to churning out huge numbers it gets a tad repetitive. Plus it's always a set menu - I can't wake up and decide no, I don't want to make danishes today.

Another thing that I really liked was the thought that I was making things that people would appreciate - the way every time I get my plate of food at restaurants I pause and look and exclaim how pretty it looks. Dentistry isn't as universally appreciated.

Anyway, there were 2 very interesting gadgets in the store that I really liked - really annoyed that I didn't take photos of them. One was a funnel for well...funneling. The special thing about it is that it has a stopper at the end that can be opened and closed at will - so you can just pour lots of liquid into the funnel and then funnel the contents into individual tarts or whatever you're working on without having to keep refilling it.

The second thing was an industrial pastry roller for nice even well layered puff pastry.

All in all - I'm really happy that I got this opportunity to do what I did. Got to taste lots of the product range too, which was great. Would love to do it again sometime.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...