Sunday, October 17, 2010

Emotional Struggle

I'm moving into a tiny apartment very soon. Having to downsize from a 3 bedroom family home into a 2 bedroom apartment the size of what seems like a handkerchief naturally involves a lot of ruthless downsizing and purging of items that one clearly no longer needs but for some reason just can't let go of.

I think I only use 20% of all the things I own regularly. Yet as I sit in front of my bookshelf, I can't let some of these books go. For example, what does one do with old dentistry notes? It seems silly that I should be attached to them - I don't even look at them but for some reason I just can't throw them out.

I haven't looked at them in the past 2 years and I highly doubt I will be in the next 20. But somehow I just can't bring myself to get rid of them.

And dentistry textbooks. And various gifts from people over the years that frankly, are just plain clutter. Yes, I sound very ungrateful here but really - for all future reference, Dental Girl would really prefer:

- edible gifts
- experience gifts
- fresh flowers

That way, once it's over it's gone. Although if you are so inclined to gift me a Birkin I have absolutely no objection to that sort of clutter.

I know I have to be ruthless and once it's out of my house in a week's time I won't even remember I ever had it in my life.

The struggle continues.




1 comment:

  1. You should get a llama. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...